What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese healing art based on the idea that universal spiritual energy can be channeled through the practitioner’s hands, promoting relaxation and healing on all levels for the client.
The International Center for Reiki Training says, “A treatment feels like a wonderful glowing radiance that flows through and around you. Reiki treats the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit, creating many beneficial effects that include relaxation and feelings of peace, security and well-being. Many have reported miraculous results.” You can read more on their website here.
The Kaiser Permanente Foundation describes Reiki as “an ancient healing method that manipulates energy flow in the body. … It is thought that Reiki releases energy flows and allows the body’s own natural healing ability to work.” Reiki is used in many hospitals today as well as in wellness centers and alternative healing venues. To read more about Reiki from Kaiser, go here.
What is a Reiki Treatment Like?
- Gentle. I will lay my hands either lightly on or hovering just above various spots on your body. There is no applied pressure or manipulating the body.
- Respectful. You stay fully clothed and choose hands-on or not.
- Relaxing. The Reiki energy feels wonderful. You will find your breathing relax and your nervous system become deeply calm as we work.
- Uplifting. Clients report feeling much lighter afterward a treatment—energetically, emotionally, and physically.
- Healing. The universal energy goes to work on all levels, often relieving symptoms or lifting distress right away.